What will change because of technology?

What is changing because of technology: education or the educators?


This week’s prompt gives me a lot to reflect on! That’s another good thing about Coetail: the reflection part!


Reflecting on our learning is already a change in education and it is even more visible and doable because of technology. Obviously, I’ve always reflected on my teaching but not as much as I do now. I’ve never blogged about it.




[caption id="attachment_420" align="aligncenter" width="300"]flickr photo by omran.jamal https://flickr.com/photos/62855773@N08/10757491534 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license flickr photo by omran.jamal https://flickr.com/photos/62855773@N08/10757491534 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license[/caption]

Reflection is, I think, part of the growth mindset and if we want changes to happen, don’t we, educators, need to have a growth mindset?


Easy to say when we know how scary tech integration can be sometimes.


Carol Dweck, author of “Mindset” explained in Recognizing and overcoming false growth mindset




We have come to realize that every one of us is a mixture of both mindsets: sometimes we're in a growth mindset, and sometimes we’re triggered into a fixed mindset by what we perceive as threats. These can be challenges, mistakes, failures, or criticisms that threaten our sense of our abilities -- for example, venturing into unknown territory with a new teaching method, confronting a student who is not learning, or comparing ourselves to a more accomplished educator. Are we inspired to try new things, or are we anxious or defensive?
In order to work toward more of a growth mindset, we need to observe ourselves and find our triggers. Just spend several weeks noticing when you enter a more threatened, defensive state. Don't judge yourself. Don't fight it. Just observe. Then, as Susan Mackie advises, give your fixed mindset persona a name. Talk to it, calling it by name, when it shows up. Over time, try to recruit it to collaborate on your challenging goals instead of letting it undermine you with doubts and fears.



Connectedness and connectivism


Connectivism is at the heart of the Coetail program and for the last eight months, I’ve made some connections.


George Siemens says



Technology is altering (rewiring) our brains. The tools we use define and shape our thinking.

[caption id="attachment_418" align="aligncenter" width="300"]flickr photo by Beau B https://flickr.com/photos/beaub/3634729436 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license flickr photo by Beau B https://flickr.com/photos/beaub/3634729436 shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license[/caption]

 

Education will also change because of technology if educators are connected.


Tom Whitby explains that connected educator begins with collaboration. Thanks to technology, collaboration is not limited to the school’s walls. Educators can connect, collaborate and create with others educators around the globe. However not all educators are ready yet to be connected. Tom Whitby adds:



The idea of collaboration requires a mindset of believing there is room to learn and grow. It is also a belief that we are smarter collectively than individually.

What will happen in the classroom of the future?


What is already changing is the skills we are teaching and technology is the reason or technology is the reason why students need to learn those new skills as technology impacts the work force. The world economic forum has listed 10 of them for 2020. And complex problem solving, critical thinking and creativity are the top three.


I also found Dana Mortenson’s article interesting. She describes what the classroom of the future will look like including the five core strategies that educators have adopted to create a classroom that will build the necessary skills for educating globally competent students.





  • Leverage real-world case studies



  • Dig into, rather than avoid, the complexity.



  • Regularly practice empathy



  • Use technology to enhance learning and empower students.



  • Ensure that reflection is part of routine



As I read this it reminded me a lot of the Genius hour project that I’ve started with my students. Last week, they spent their very first lesson exploring their idea. It’s still too early to talk about it! One thing for sure: there was a lot of inquiring that day!


Using genius hour project-like is one thing that I will probably be teaching in 5 years time.

Comments

  1. Hi Magali,
    I love your opening, "don’t we, educators, need to have a growth mindset?". I agree 100% & also commented on this in my latest post. I find a lot of resistance to tech integration, and change in general, in my school & this disappoints me.
    I tend to have a different outlook with another of you statements though, "Easy to say when we know how scary tech integration can be sometimes" I really have no fear of tech integration. In fact, it is what makes teaching interesting for me. Also, with the development & user friendliness of modern tools, integration for me rarely goes wrong. Maybe, with my students (G10-12), there is less pressure & more understanding if things don't quite work out as planned.
    "However not all educators are ready yet to be connected." I have to agree strongly on this one. I have been trying hard all year to hook up with other IB Economics classes to collaborate. I have had no luck, which is disappointing & frustrating. I tried going through the teacher exchange on the IBO website. I set up a Google+ page for IB Economics & I emailed international schools in my area. No bites! If you have IB Economics @ your school, hook me up please.
    Happy COETAILing,
    Blair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blair,
    Thank you for reading my blog and for your comment.
    I feel the same with your disappointment in both the growth mindset and the connected educator.
    As for tech integration, you’re right too. I teach primary grades and I have some K1 students who are eating crayons and scissors ( yes, it happened!!). I know that it’s doable. I don’t feel ready yet. And not to give me excuses, but our lessons are pretty short: 40mn. For now, I’ve just decided to observe how tech integration looks like in early years. And yes, it’s easier with the upper primary.
    Thanks
    Magali

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

de-VICES: how many are enough?

One small step for the digital world, one giant leap for me!

Respect my privacy, hide my face!