“Wow! "Moment - Popup Makerspace in French

Isn’t it wonderful when you hear your students having those moments?


Last spring, I set up a popup maker space. For a whole morning, my students tinkered, made, built and played with scribbling machines.




“The role of the teacher is to create the conditions for invention rather than provide ready-made knowledge”
Seymour Pappert.



I’m telling you, setting this popup Makerspace was a big thing for me. It involved disrupting the “usual” French learning, disrupting the whole classroom.
As I organised my room that morning, my mind was spinning with “ what if..”, what if the students can’t do it, what if it all fails, what if it’s too easy for them???
Added to that, the funny look on my colleagues’ faces didn’t help to relax!
Yet it was a completely and truly amazing morning!



How did I get organised...


[caption id="attachment_470" align="aligncenter" width="225"]Photo M. Brutel Photo M. Brutel[/caption]

I was lucky enough to attend Learning2 Europe in Milan last spring and to participate to the Popup makerspace precon with Mark Shillitoe.
I made good use of my learning experiences and I re-used and remixed everything for my students’ needs.


Space: I arranged all the desks to make one big table. This design encouraged conversations and allowed movement.
Tinker table: on the big table, I drew a “how to” guide in French and put all the materials needed.
Curiosity: I had one scribble-bot ready to use.
Remix: I also had one unfinished scribbling machine.

[caption id="attachment_465" align="aligncenter" width="225"]Photo M. Brutel Photo M. Brutel[/caption]

I also had one Makey Makey. I used it as a giant controller mat to play Pac Man. This activity was ready to play. However I let my students discover how to use Makey Makey.

[caption id="attachment_469" align="aligncenter" width="225"]Photo M. Brutel Photo M. Brutel[/caption]

What I wish I had...


My morning schedule is divided into 4 lessons of 40mn each. Students in Grade1, 2, 4 and 5 participated in this Popup Makerspace. The time was very short, in particular for the first group. Yet, there were 4 scribble-bots ready to go at the end of the lesson.
When the next group entered the room, they remixed some of them. I wish the makers could have seen it!


img_1169

Why did I do it?



  • Firstly, I just love making things!
    Secondly, as a learner, I know that I just learn better by doing.
    Thirdly, my students were able to reuse French words in a real situation.
    And at last and not the least, here is a list of qualities shared by Michael Gorman from the Makers movement:


  • Allow for student intrinsic motivation and self-directed learning



  • Support students in a natural connection toward the facilitation of the 4 C’s



  • Engage students in significant content by allowing for connections to curriculum



  • Immerse students in experiences that promote the idea of flow



  • Provide students opportunities that allow them to fail in order to succeed



  • Emphasize to students and teachers the importance of process over outcome



  • Engage students in relevance and connections through an authentic learning experience



  • Create opportunities for students to be producers of content and products



  • Facilitate to students the idea of entrepreneurship through innovation



  • Introduce students to the iterative process for problem solving



  • Support student inquiry by relaying the importance of good questions and continued questioning



[caption id="attachment_467" align="aligncenter" width="225"]Photo M. Brutel Photo M. Brutel[/caption]

What’s next?


I’m planning on having another Pop up Makerspace soon. I have found more ideas from the Tinkering studio. I have 3 Makey Makey now. My idea is to have a workshop using Scratch and Makey Makey with my students during Hour of Code in December.




[caption id="attachment_463" align="aligncenter" width="225"]Photo M. Brutel Photo M. Brutel[/caption]

Comments

  1. Sooo cool! I love the pictures and seeing the kids and you geek out! Did they have to read the instructions in French...what motivation to figure out the language. Love it and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Magali,

    So wonderful to hear that wow factor from your students. I really enjoyed reading your post, especially like the makeymakey/Pac Man controller. I am about to start using, so will be down the corridor for some advice. I would really like to get my grade 1 students involved in their French class and bring back their learning to the homeroom. Let's talk about how we can do this. Really enjoying reading what you are doing Magali, loving the way they are bringing their language learning into authentic projects. Fantastic, thank you for sharing what you are doing so visually.
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] Magali‘s awesome Popup Makerspace in French class […]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rebekah,
    Thanks for your comment!
    Yes, instructions were in French! What’s great too was: they already knew a lot of vocabulary. My students were “using” French more than “learning French”! We had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzy,
    Thank you for your comment!
    The scribble-bot seen in the video was one of 1st grader! How excellent!
    We’ll organize some Makey Makey lessons, it’s good fun!!
    I love your idea of having the students bring back their learning. And I can’t wait to discuss it with you.
    Magali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que Bien Magali! Super innovation andmaking language available to all. I went to your "TInkering"website and the picture on fastening immediately caught my eye. This will be a great reference for the Grade One students later in the year and you can help them learn it in French as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merci Liz!
    That’s the plan: having another popup makerspace and why not trying to set up a tinkering space here at school?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merci de partager cette activité Magali.
    On imagine bien l'excitation des élèves qui participent activement et avec enthousiasme à un projet qui leur permet d'utiliser le français en contexte!
    Avez-vous travaillé en amont sur la fiche de fabrication?
    As-tu prévu ensuite de leur faire réutiliser le vocabulaire/ tournures de phrases dans une autre situation ?
    Désolée pour toutes ces questions mais ton projet me tente alors si tu as le temps d'en discuter entre 2 cours, je suis preneuse!
    Bravo pour la prise de risques en tout cas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci Nora pour ton commentaire!
    C'était une activité EN français et non pas DE français. L'avantage avec la récupération, c'est que tout le vocabulaire est connu!
    Les élèves ont pu donc laisser libre cours à leur imagination, ils ont pu créer, bidouiller, trouver des solutions pour que ça fonctionne sans que le professeur leur dise quoi faire.
    Bonus: ils ont même appris à exprimer leur frustration en français!
    Avec plaisir, je t'expliquerai comment je m'y suis prise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. J'ai beaucoup aimé ton post. Ton activité semble avoir été l'occasion pour les élèves de parler français dans un contexte stimulant et j'imagine qu'ils étaient très motivés! Merci aussi pour le lien vers le Thinkering studio que je ne le connaissais pas et qui est plein de ressources fun à faire avec les élèves. Super que tu puisses le faire à nouveau en décembre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merci Stéphane!
    Ce serait super si on pouvait trouver un endroit dans l’école pour faire un Popup makerspace qui permette d’attirer plus de passage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

de-VICES: how many are enough?

Respect my privacy, hide my face!

One small step for the digital world, one giant leap for me!