Self-directed Learning

I finally did it!


How I was dreading this 10mn video but in the end, that was a powerful way of reflecting. I enjoyed working that way with my students. I enjoyed documenting even though I felt sometimes that I was missing some of my students’ learning.


Documenting and teaching at the same time is really tricky for me.


While putting my video together, I noticed that I didn’t have any shot of my students choosing their topics. Yet I remembered we had a lot of interesting conversations going on in the classroom during that time


I regretted also not being able to use SWAY as I did with the first Genius Hour last year. As we started the project early in the school year, my students didn’t have an email address until mid-October, therefore their presentation was already well advanced.


[embed]https://youtu.be/CXM6tZ5teZk[/embed]

New beginnings


Coetail gave me the little big push that I needed to feel comfortable with Educational technology, how to use it and what to address. The programme


It has transformed my thinking on how to plan learning experiences for my students.


Thank you all the Coetailers!


I now have few other exciting collaboration projects which I’m hopping would materialize sooner than later




  • tinkering with Suzy Ramsden

  • digital storytelling RSA-style with the Art department

  • cultural exchanges via twitter with Canadian teachers.


Let’s get started!

 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful project Magali!

    J'ai beaucoup aimer voir comment on peut utiliser COETAIL dans des classes qui ne sont pas juste avec un group d'etudiants.

    Super pour les etudiants de pouvoir faire de la recherche avec un partenaire et de comprendre l'effet que les illustrations prennent sur les autres.

    Bravo a vous et aux etudiants.

    NKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Nadine pour ton commentaire!
    My Grade5 students enjoyed presenting in front of the other French classes. I think that what you meant.

    Thanks again!
    Magali

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see how you've used Genius Hour in French class, Magali! I love how the students got to research a topic of their choice. This was an authentic way to use French--as they made cupcakes, learned about their favorite game, and presented about pranks. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for your comment and for watching my video!
    You should definitely try a Genius Hour with your students! Regardless of their level of English, they will love it! And you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome project Magali,
    I love the fact you are given your students so much choice in the classroom so that they fell empowered. The way you ended your video is so important moving forward...it is all about the process not the final product.
    Well done on an awesome COETAIL experience. It has been great to be part of it with you.
    From one of your local PLN members!
    Cheers,
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for your comment Joel!
    It has been a pleasure too to be part of the Coetail experience with you!
    Cheers
    Magali

    ReplyDelete
  7. […] Magali showed how genius hour can work in her grade 5 language class. I never would have thought of genius hour in a foreign language acquisition class, but of course that is how so many of us learn other languages…curiosity and need to learn how to communicate. You can really sense the kids enthusiasm and Magali’s excitement at the things they are learning. And I love how perfectly 5th grade their topics are (Madame PacMan made me laugh!) It’s clear they were learning the language and were feeling pretty geeked about it […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

de-VICES: how many are enough?

One small step for the digital world, one giant leap for me!

Respect my privacy, hide my face!